These delicious gluten-free carrot muffins sure make it easy to eat your vegetables! Enjoy these lightly sweet, tender muffins for breakfast or a snack!
Sometimes you just need a muffin. Something warm and cozy to eat. A way to use up those ingredients that are looking sad. A reason to warm up the kitchen. An excuse to bake something to soothe the mind and soul. These wholesome little carrot muffins can check all of those boxes. Plus they’re:
- gluten-free & dairy-free
- reminiscent of carrot cake, albeit a little healthier
- lightly sweet
- have great texture, especially with the optional nuts included
- warm with cinnamon and spice
Having muffins around makes for the perfect afternoon snack for the kiddos or the perfect grab-and-go breakfast for you. These gluten-free carrot muffins are quickly topping the list of our favorite muffins. (A list that also includes these gluten-free, whole-grain banana muffins and these gluten-free blueberry muffins.)
Ingredients You Need
- Gluten-free flour: I tested this recipe with three different gluten-free flour blends: Pamela’s Artisan Blend, Bob’s 1:1 baking flour, and Cup4Cup Multipurpose flour in the blue bag. They all worked very well in this recipe! I liked the flavor and texture of the Bob’s muffins the best. While the Cup4Cup muffins were also great, the muffins baked up a little goofy looking.
- Carrots: Shred the carrots yourself with a box grater or food processor. This will ensure they have the proper moistness!
- Applesauce: Adds moisture and allows us to reduce the amount of oil.
- Oil: Any neutral flavor liquid oil is fine here, such as canola or melted coconut oil.
- Pecans or walnuts: The nuts are optional but I really enjoyed them in this recipe! They add the perfect amount of texture and crunch.
- Other pantry staples: including an egg, vanilla, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spices.
Making Gluten-free Carrot Muffins
Just like most muffins, these carrot muffins are quick and simple to make! You don’t need a fancy mixer, just some elbow grease and a bowl, although you can use a mixer if you prefer.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Then whisk together the wet ingredients.
- Incorporate the dry into the wet mixture.
- Stir the carrots and nuts into the batter.
- Scoop into greased or lined muffin tins.
- Top each muffin with a sprinkle of nuts, if desired.
Once they’ve baked, just try to resist popping a steamy muffin in your mouth! I’m sure you won’t be able to… I know we couldn’t!
Store these muffins in an airtight container, at room temperature for 2-3 days. Leftovers can also be frozen.
Gluten-free Carrot Muffins
- 1 cup gluten-free flour blend, such as Bob's 1:1 or Cup4Cup blue bag
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup canola oil, or any neutral, liquid oil
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts or pecans, plus some extra to sprinkle on top, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a non-stick muffin tin with cupcake liners or grease well.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and salt. Set aside.
- Whisk together the oil, applesauce, sugars, egg, and vanilla.
- Incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Mix until well combined.
- Stir in the carrots and nuts.
- Scoop about 1/4 cup of batter into each muffin cup. Sprinkle tops with extra nuts.
- Bake 20-25 min or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Do you like this recipe?
⭐️ Please leave a star-rating below! ⭐️
Use the social share buttons to save this recipe for later!