If you’re looking for an easy weeknight meal that also makes a great leftover lunch, your search is over. Stop everything and make Bacon Fried Rice.
Bacon Fried Rice once again proves that everything is indeed better with bacon. I love this quick and easy weeknight meal. I basically have to fight my family in order to save some leftovers for lunch the next day. (It’s really good leftover!) We eat this almost weekly at our house because everyone loves it so much. Each time I keep making more and each time they just keep eating more and then I have no leftovers. It’s a problem. I’ve started to sneak and pack some away before I even serve it to avoid this dilemma!
Bacon Fried Rice is a great ‘clean out the fridge’ type meal. I typically have these things on hand but you can certainly swap out the veggies with what you have on hand.
The recipe calls for fresh ginger but you can leave that out if you don’t have any… same goes for the sesame oil. They enhance the flavor but I’ve made it several times without and it’s still delicious. Don’t skip the garlic in that case!
I use the instant pot to cook the rice while I’m making the rest of the meal. Leftover rice is even better for this but I usually don’t have that just hanging out in my fridge.
Gluten-Free Bacon Fried Rice
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon sliced
- 6 eggs whisked
- 1 large yellow, red, or orange bell pepper diced
- 1 small bunch green onions sliced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger grated
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 4 cups cooked long-grain or jasmine rice (2 cups uncooked)
- 2 tbsp liquid aminos (low-sodium soy sauce if not gluten-free)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- kosher salt
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat. Cook bacon until crisp. Remove the bacon to a paper towel lined plate and save the drippings in a small dish.
- Pour 1 tbsp bacon grease back into the hot pan. Pour the eggs in the pan and season with a pinch of kosher salt. Scramble the eggs. Remove the eggs to the plate with the bacon.
- Pour 1 tbsp bacon grease in the hot pan. Add in the bell peppers, green onion, ginger, and garlic. Sauté, stirring constantly for 2 min, until peppers are crisp tender.
- Add the bacon and eggs back to the pan. Add in the peas. Stir to combine.
- Add in the rice. Drizzle with the liquid aminos and sesame oil. Stir until combined, adding more liquid aminos to taste. Once heated through, remove from heat and serve immediately.