Bring out the flavor of delicious summer cherry tomatoes with Burst Tomato Pasta. This quick and easy, 30-minute meatless meal is bursting with flavor!
This pasta dish has long been a family favorite. It is so simple yet so delicious! Cherry tomatoes come to life during the cooking process and literally burst with flavor. The burst tomatoes and their juices, along with garlic and a dash of balsamic vinegar, transform into an effortless tomato sauce. It's sure to please even the pickiest of eaters! This pasta dish is a 30-minute wonder that only requires a few ingredients!
- Cherry or Grape Tomatoes: Small, ripe flavorful tomatoes are what you need!
- Olive Oil
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Salt & Pepper
- Fresh Basil: if you can't get your hands on some fresh basil, you can skip this ingredient.
- Dried Pasta: I like fusilli.
How to make Burst Tomato Pasta
This is your new favorite weeknight pasta. In fact, back in the day when I was working long days in a clinical lab, this was one of my favorite easy meals to make. It requires almost no effort which is perfect when you're exhausted but you still need to feed your family.
- Start boiling the pasta water and cook the pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, sauté the garlic, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper in olive oil for about 30 seconds, just until fragrant. Don't brown the garlic!
- Add in the tomatoes and toss them in the olive oil.
- Cover the pan and let the tomatoes cook until they burst, shaking the pan a few times throughout the process. This takes about 10 minutes.
- When they've softened and started to burst, smash them a little more with the back of a spoon. Add in the balsamic vinegar.
- Toss the sauce with the pasta.
- Finish with torn basil & devour!
Burst Tomato Pasta
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic,, minced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 pints cherry or grape tomatoes
- 12-16 ounces dried fusilli pasta
- 1 bunch fresh basil,, torn
- Boil a large pot of salted water and cook the pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan.
- Add in the garlic, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Sauté for about 30 seconds, just until fragrant. Take care not to brown the garlic.
- Add in the tomatoes and toss with the olive oil. Cover the pan with a lid. Simmer the tomatoes until they burst, shaking the pan occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- When the tomatoes have softened and burst, remove the lid and smash them a little more with the back of a spoon. Stir in the balsamic vinegar.
- Toss the sauce with the cooked pasta and torn basil.
- Serve immediately.