A family favorite pasta dish! Chicken Arrabbiata Pasta with a slightly spicy tomato sauce is served over your favorite pasta. This easy chicken dinner comes together in about 30 minutes!
If you need something new to make for pasta night, try Chicken Arrabbiata Pasta! The sauce is similar to marinara in that it is tomato-based with garlic and onion but arrabbiata is a bit spicier and jazzed up with a dash of balsamic vinegar.
This is another 30-minute meal, perfect for a quick weeknight dinner… or for when I’ve procrastinated about deciding what to make until the very last minute!
I frequently have these simple ingredients on hand, which means I can make a great dinner any night of the week!
- Onion & Garlic
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Lemon Juice: From a fresh lemon, please!
- Italian Seasoning
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes: adjust to your desired spiciness!*
- Tomato Paste
- Fire-Roasted Diced Tomatoes: You can use regular diced tomatoes but I like the fire-roasted kind!
- Pasta: your favorite kind! I like a rotini or penne for this dish.
*While Arrabbiata is technically a spicy dish, you can easily tone it down! I usually keep the sauce pretty mild for the kids and only add a pinch of red pepper flakes. Add more if you like it spicy!
Make Arrabbiata Sauce from Scratch
The sauce is extremely easy to make! Just sauté the chicken, onion, & garlic. Then add in the canned tomatoes, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, and spices. Let it all simmer while you cook the noodles!
Serve the arrabbiata sauce over a bed of pasta and that’s it!
I like this meal because I can make two kinds of pasta if I want to save some money on ingredients, gluten-free for myself and regular pasta for everyone else, since the sauce can be served on top instead of all mixed in with the pasta.
If you don’t finish all of the sauce, the leftovers can be refrigerated for a few days. Reheat in a saucepan, adding in a splash of water if needed to loosen it up a bit.
Chicken Arrabbiata Pasta
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp lemon Juice
- 2 cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 12 – 16 oz dried pasta of your choice, like gluten-free fusilli or penne
- salt & pepper, to taste
- grated parmesan cheese, for garnish, optional
- Bring a pot of water to boil and cook pasta according to package directions. Start the sauce while the water heats up.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over med-high heat. Add the chicken, season with salt and pepper, and sauté until browned.
- Add in the onions and garlic. Sauté several minutes until onions are translucent and chicken is cooked through.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and bring the sauce to a simmer. Season with another pinch of salt & pepper.
- Reduce the heat to med-low, cover, and simmer for about 15 minutes. Stir occassionally.
- Serve the sauce over warm pasta. Top with grated Parmesan cheese if desired.