Treat your family to a delicious, savory breakfast casserole with Gluten-free Everything Bagel Strata! A delicious make-ahead breakfast full of sausage, cheese, and eggs.
I tend to collect things in my freezer… gluten-free bread, bagels, and frozen pizzas to name a few. (Please tell me I’m not alone!) When it gets to the point that it’s hard to close the lid, I know it’s time to purge. The other day, I found a sack of Trader Joe’s Gluten-free Everything Bagels and I thought an overnight breakfast strata sounded like a fun way to use them up! This gluten-free breakfast casserole is loaded with eggs, cheese, and breakfast sausage, it’s like a savory bread pudding. While this would be a fun breakfast for any day of the week, I would most likely serve this on a special occasion like Christmas morning or for a fun weekend breakfast.
Why I love this breakfast Casserole
- You can make it ahead! This can sit in the refrigerator overnight making it the perfect gluten-free brunch recipe!
- Customizable! You can use any type of cheeses, sausages, or bacon. You can even use regular bread instead of bagels… or even plain bagels instead of everything. It is a great way to use up ingredients in your fridge and freezer.
- It’s Easy!
Ingredients in Gluten-free Everything Bagel Strata
- Gluten-free Everything Bagels: I used Trader Joes. Any type of savory bagel or bread would work if you’d rather use up what you have on hand.
- Breakfast Sausage: Cooked and crumbled. I used Applegate chicken breakfast sausage because we have to avoid pork in our house. Use your favorite kind of breakfast sausage or substitute bacon if you prefer.
- Cheese: I used cheddar-jack.
- Eggs, Milk, and Spices
Making the Casserole
Step 1: Toast the bagel cubes.
Step 2: Whisk together the eggs, cream, and spices.
Step 3: Toss the bread, sausage, and cheese together saving some cheese for the top.
Step 4: Pour the cream mixture over the casserole.
Step 5: Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Step 6: Let soak and then bake later.
Overnight Breakfast Casserole
To make this casserole ahead, prepare and cover the unbaked casserole with foil. Let it sit in the refrigerator overnight. Let the strata sit at room temperature while you pre-heat the oven.
If you want to make and bake the casserole on the same day, prepare and allow 30 minutes for the casserole to soak up the egg mixture before baking.
Gluten-free Everything Bagel Breakfast Strata
- 14 oz gluten-free everything bagels
- 2 cups shredded cheddar-jack cheese
- 7 oz breakfast sausage
- 2 cups milk, or half & half
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Dash hot sauce, optional
- everything bagel seasoning, optional
- Slice bagels into 1-inch cubes. Toast at 350°F for 15-20 minutes, or until lightly golden brown.
- Cook and crumble the breakfast sausage.
- Whisk together the milk, eggs, seasoned salt, paprika, pepper and hot sauce (optional).
Assemble the Casserole
- Grease 8-inch casserole dish. Layer bread, sausage, and cheese in the dish, reserving some cheese to sprinkle on top. Gently toss to ensure ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Pour the milk/egg mixture over the casserole. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and some extra everything bagel seasoning if desired.
- Cover with foil and place the casserole in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or up to overnight, allowing the egg mixture to soak into the bread.
Bake the Casserole
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Take the casserole out of the refrigerator while the oven preheats.
- Bake the casserole for 20 minutes with the foil on. Remove the foil and bake another 30 minutes or until the eggs have set in the center and the bread is lightly browned.