If you love chocolate decadence, this chocolate turtle poke cake is for you! Take Pamela's gluten-free chocolate cake mix to the next level with layers of caramel, chocolate, and pecans! This chocolate poke cake recipe could not be easier and will surely impress!
When it comes to chocolate cake or turtle, I do not mess around! Take gluten-free turtle cheesecake or gluten-free Texas sheet cake for example! This chocolate turtle poke cake recipe is no exception. It is chocolatey, filled with gooey caramel, and oh so indulgent! You'll be surprised at how easy this cake is to make with just a few ingredients!
To make this gluten-free chocolate poke cake recipe you will need:
- Pamela's Chocolate Cake Mix: this is always my go-to chocolate cake mix. It is rich in chocolate and delicious! You will also need the ingredients on the back of the mix to make the cake: eggs, oil, and water.
- Pamela's Dark Chocolate Frosting Mix: I always, always make homemade frosting for cakes. It tastes so much better than the canned stuff. This mix from Pamela's is a perfect shortcut! It tastes like homemade but is conveniently pre-measured! You'll also need the ingredients on the back of the mix for the frosting: butter and milk or water.
- a can of Dulce de Leche: Find this right next to the sweetened condensed milk in the baking aisle! Fun fact: it actually is sweetened condensed milk that's been cooked down into a thick, luscious caramel! Yum!!
- Your favorite chocolate sauce and caramel sauce: Whatever you'd put on your sundae will be just fine!
- Toasted Pecan Pieces: The pecans don't have to be toasted if you forget or are in a pinch. To toast pecans, spread the pecan pieces on a baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes at 350°F. Once you smell them, they're probably done!
This easy to make cake can be broken down into four main steps:
Step 1: Make and bake the chocolate cake according to the package directions. Pamela's mix directs to add an extra egg for a cake that is less dense, so I always add the extra egg! When it has finished baking, use a straw to poke holes all over the cake.
Step 2: Put the dulce de leche into a microwave-safe container and warm it up to a pourable consistency. Pour it all over the cake, spreading to an even layer and to fill the holes! Cool completely!
Step 3: Make the chocolate frosting and spread on top of the cake.
Step 4: Drizzle with caramel sauce, chocolate sauce, and sprinkle with toasted pecans! That's it! Refrigerate until serving.
Isn't that shockingly easy?! And wow are the results stunning! All you need is a dollop of vanilla ice cream or a big ole' glass of milk! Well, and maybe a few guests to share it with!
Store this cake in the refrigerator for the best results. Turtle poke cake will keep for 3-4 days tightly wrapped in the refrigerator. That said, it does not have to be refrigerated and can be kept at room temperature if needed.
Gluten-free Turtle Poke Cake
- 1 pkg Pamela's Chocolate Cake Mix
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 - 13.4 ounce can dulce de leche
- 1 pkg Pamela's Dark Chocolate Frosting Mix
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 4 tablespoons milk or water
- ½ cup caramel syrup, or caramel sundae sauce
- ½ cup chocolate syrup, or hot fudge sauce
- ½ cup pecan pieces, toasted
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Whisk the eggs, oil, and water together. Add the cake mix and stir to combine. Don't overmix.
- Pour into a greased 9x13 pan. Bake 24-30 min or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove cake from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Using a straw, poke holes all over the top of the cake.
- Transfer the dulce de leche to a microwave-safe bowl and warm in the microwave for 1 ½ to 2 minutes, or until pourable. Pour the dulce de leche over the top of the cake and spread evenly, allowing the caramel to fill in the holes on the cake. Set the cake aside to cool completely.
- Once the cake is completely cool, make the frosting: Place the softened butter in a mixing bowl. Add the frosting mix and blend at low speed until combined. Add the milk 1 tablespoon at a time, blending well after each addition.
- Spread the chocolate frosting over the cooled cake. Drizzle with caramel syrup, then chocolate syrup, and top with pecan pieces. Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator until serving.
More Gluten-free Poke Cake Recipes
- Gluten-free Chocolate Poke Cake
- Dairy-Free Gluten-Free Strawberries and Cream Poke Cake
- Strawberry Lemonade Poke Cake
- Gluten-free Retro Jello Poke Cake
- Gluten-free Key Lime Poke Cake
*This post is proudly sponsored by Pamela's Products. I'm so happy to work with this brand as I have been using the products,
Shop this post
*This post contains affiliate links, through which I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you.