Gluten-free French Toast Casserole is a special breakfast treat with the flavors of classic french toast. This delicious and easy gluten-free breakfast casserole has a cinnamon streusel topping and also blueberries!
This recipe is near and dear to me. Back in the day, I learned how to make baked french toast casserole in my high school foods class and I have been making it for Christmas morning ever since! You don't necessarily need to wait until Christmas to make this recipe! This delicious gluten-free french toast casserole would be great for a weekend brunch or any morning you want an extra special treat.
What I Love About This Casserole
- You make it ahead, as in the night before! Get the mess out of the way and wake up to a delicious breakfast ready for the oven!
- It has the most delicious cinnamon streusel topping, which is obviously the best part!
- Topped with frozen blueberries before baking, the tart fruit adds just the right touch.
- It is a great use for leftover bread that you've been storing up in the freezer!
- Gluten-free Bread: Use any kind of gluten-free bread you prefer. I used Canyon Bakehouse in the recipe. You need about 1 loaf's worth. Save up all your leftover bread in the freezer and then use it for this casserole!
- Eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon: this makes the french toast base.
- For the streusel topping, you will need a gluten-free flour blend, brown sugar, cinnamon, and butter.
- Frozen blueberries
How to Make It
Step 1: Toast the bread cubes and place in a casserole dish.
Step 2: Whisk the eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon together and pour over the bread cubes. Cover and set aside.
Step 3: Combine the ingredients for the streusel topping with a pastry blender.
Step 4: Refrigerate the casserole and topping separately, overnight or let sit for at least 30 minutes.
In the morning: top the casserole with the streusel topping and blueberries, then bake. Serve warm with a drizzle of maple syrup!
Gluten-free French Toast Casserole
- 1 loaf Gluten-free Bread,, about 16oz
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup gluten-free flour blend
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup cold butter,, cut into cubes
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- One Day Ahead:
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Cut bread into 1-inch cubes. Toast on a non-stick baking sheet for 15-20 minutes or until bread is toasted and lightly brown. Remove and place bread cubes in a greased 8x10-inch or 2-Qt casserole dish.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon. Pour over the toasted bread cubes. Lightly toss to coat the bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- To make the streusel topping, use a pastry blender to cut together the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and butter into a mixture that resembles coarse crumbs. Put in a small container or cover the bowl and refrigerate until ready to bake the casserole.
- To Bake the Casserole:
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Remove the casserole and topping from the refrigerator while the oven is preheating.
- Sprinkle the streusel topping over the casserole. Scatter the blueberries on top.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the casserole is set in the center and lightly browned on top. Serve warm with a drizzle of maple syrup.