An all-time favorite, gluten-free buttercream thumbprint cookies, are the perfect bite! A buttery shortbread cookie rolled in pecans, iced with delicious buttercream frosting. This thumbprint recipe is very easy to make, uses just a few ingredients, and freezes really well!
This cookie is a must-have for any Christmas cookie tray. They are always one of the first to go because it's the perfect bite to satisfy that sweet tooth! I remember loving these thumbprints even as a kid! That little bit of icing on top was hard to resist!
I've converted the classic thumbprint recipe to gluten-free and I know you'll love them too! They taste just as good as the original and dare I say taste even better straight from the freezer!
The best part about thumbprints? Such a fancy little cookie with so few ingredients!
- Gluten-free Flour: I made these with Namaste perfect flour blend, but I'm confident other brands would work as well.
- Brown sugar
- Buttercream icing: butter, powdered sugar, milk, vanilla, and gel food colors (optional)
Making Gluten-free Thumbprints
Thumbprints are an easy cookie to make and the dough doesn't require any chilling.
- Mix together the dough.
- Roll into balls and dip in egg whites.
- Roll in chopped pecans.
- Make an indent in each ball with your thumb.
- When the cookies have baked and cooled, make the buttercream frosting.
- Tint with the desired color.
- Pipe a small amount of icing into each cookie.
These cookies will be ok up to 3 days at room temperature if kept in an airtight container. They also freeze really well when tightly wrapped.
More Holiday Cookies
- Gluten-free Jam-filled Thumbprints are another delicious thumbprint cookie rolled in coconut and filled with your favorite jam. My great-grandma's recipe!
- GF Sugar Cookies are perfect for cut-outs.
- Flourless Peanut Butter Blossoms are a fun twist on a classic, made without flour!
- Or check out all of my cookie recipes!
If you try these cookies, I'd love to hear from you! Leave a comment and star rating below! Don't forget to share or pin this recipe to save it for later! Happy Baking! ♡
Gluten-free Buttercream Thumbprint Cookies
- 2 cup 1:1 gluten-free flour blend, , such as Namaste Perfect Flour Blend
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, , softened
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs, , separated
- 2 cups pecans, , finely chopped
- ½ cup butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar, , ½ pound
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1-3 tablespoons cream, , or milk
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Whisk together gluten-free flour blend and salt.
- Cream butter, brown sugar, egg yolks, and vanilla until creamy.
- Incorporate dry ingredients until well blended.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg whites until frothy. Place chopped pecans in another small bowl.
- Roll 1 tablespoon of dough into a ball.
- Roll the ball in egg whites and then pecans. Roll again between your hands to press the pecans into the dough.
- Place on parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Make an indent in the center of each ball with your thumb.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes. Cool completely before icing.
Make Buttercream Frosting
- Cream softened butter and powdered sugar on medium speed until combined.
- Add vanilla and blend.
- Add 1 tablespoon of cream at a time until buttercream is of piping consistency.
- Tint icing with desired color(s).
- Using a 1M tip, pipe a dollop of icing in each cookie.