On cold days, there's nothing better than a comforting bowl of gluten-free soup! Soups are not only the ultimate comfort food, but a versatile way to use up ingredients, create healthy meals, and provide soul satisfying nourishment! That's why we've put together a versatile list of the best gluten-free soup recipes, so that you can create an easy dinner with delicious flavors, no matter what you're craving!
Pantry Staples for Gluten-Free Soups
When making soups that are both delicious and gluten-free, having the right pantry essentials is key. Stock up on a selection of gluten-free broths, thickeners, and gluten-free grains to ensure you're well-equipped to create flavorful soups without compromising your dietary needs.
- Gluten-free Flour: While any gluten-free flour blend can work as a thickener for soups, I personally prefer to use sweet rice flour, also called glutenous rice flour. I feel it behaves most closely to wheat flour and can be used as a 1:1 replacement in any soup recipe.
- Gluten-Free Pasta: Many soups call for pasta, use your favorite gluten-free pastas, such as gluten-free orzo or gluten-free rotini.
- Gluten-Free Grains: Have a selection of gluten-free grains such as rice or quinoa to add heartiness and texture to your soups.
- Canned Beans and Tomatoes: An assortment of canned beans like black beans, lentils, and chickpeas are an easy protein to add to your soups. Keep canned diced or crushed tomatoes on hand for creating tomato-based soups or adding depth to broths.
- Gluten-Free Broth and Stock: While broths tend to be lighter tasting than stocks, which have more intense flavor, broths and stocks can be used interchangeably in recipes. Always check the labels on the package! Some stocks, broths, and bouillons do contain wheat. I have great resources for finding gluten-free chicken broth, gluten-free beef broths, and gluten-free bouillons! The same information applies to vegetable broth as well.
- Gluten-Free Soy Sauce or Tamari: Use gluten-free soy sauce or tamari to add umami and depth of flavor without introducing gluten.
- Gluten-Free Crackers: Remember to have some gluten-free crackers or croutons on hand for topping your soups.
Tips for Making Gluten-Free Soups
- Use Shortcuts: Short on time? Look for ways to take a shortcut in your soup recipe. My favorite shortcut is using shredded gluten-free rotisserie chicken instead of raw chicken. I like to get rotisserie chickens and other gluten-free essentials from Costco. Since it's already cooked through, you can often reduce the cooking times by up to 15-20 minutes.
- Use Fresh Herbs: Whenever possible, use fresh herbs! They have more intense flavor than dried herbs and can take your soup from good to gourmet! Woody herbs, such as rosemary, thyme, or oregano can be added at the beginning of cooking, remove the stems before serving. Tender herbs with soft stems and leaves, such as basil, cilantro, or parsley, should be added just before serving to preserve their flavor and color.
- Top it Off: A few simple yet complimentary garnishes can take any bowl of soup to the next level! Optional garnishes could include crumbled bacon, fresh herbs, sliced green onions, olive oil, sour cream, shredded cheese (yes, pre-shredded cheese is gluten-free), or gluten-free crackers.
- Cooking Methods: Most soup recipes can be adapted to cook using various methods, whether in a dutch oven on the stove top, in a slow cooker, or even in the instant pot.
- Dust off your immersion blender: An immersion blender is a great way to quickly purée your soup, without removing it from the pot you cooked it in. This makes for less mess and easy cleanup! Take caution when blending hot soups, go slow and keep the base of the blender fully submerged to avoid any splatters.
- Storing Soup: Always store leftover soups in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer. Refrigerated soup will last for several days, while frozen leftovers can last for several months. Reheating leftover soup is a great way to meal prep!
Gluten-Free Soup Recipes with Chicken
Discover a delightful array of gluten-free chicken soup recipes, from classic chicken noodle to zesty lemon orzo and hearty wild rice. Don't skip the bold flavors of chicken tortilla soup, these recipes offer a delicious range of options to enjoy.
Gluten-Free Chicken Noodle Soup
Gluten-Free Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
Creamy Gluten-Free Chicken Wild Rice Soup
Gluten-free Chicken Tortilla Soup
Gluten-Free Vegetable Soup Recipes
This assortment of gluten-free vegetable-based soups are as hearty as they are wholesome. From the comforting richness of broccoli cheddar to the vibrant freshness of tomato soup or spinach tortellini soup. Celebrate the vibrant flavors of healthy vegetables in every spoonful.
Gluten-free Potato Soup
Gluten-Free Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Gluten-Free Tortellini Soup with Spinach
Homemade Gluten-free Tomato Soup
Gluten-Free Butternut Squash Soup
Gluten-Free Cashew Carrot Ginger Soup
Healthy Pumpkin Soup
Gluten-Free Soup Recipes with Beef or Sausage
Get ready to treat your taste buds to a range of hearty gluten-free soups featuring beef or sausage. From the classic comfort of chili to the cozy combination of sausage with white beans and kale, and even the innovative twist of lasagna soup, this collection is a delicious exploration of meaty flavors that will warm your soul.
Gluten-Free Chili with Beef and Beans
Gluten-Free Zuppa Toscana Soup (Dairy-Free)
Tuscan Kale White Bean Soup with Italian Sausage
Gluten Free Lasagna Soup
Indulge in the creamy goodness of gluten-free chowders that bring a touch of comfort to every bite. From the timeless charm of classic New England to the sweet satisfaction of corn chowder, these recipes celebrate the rich textures and flavors that chowders are known for.
Gluten-Free, Vegan Corn Chowder
Gluten-Free New England Style Clam Chowder
What to Serve With Gluten-Free Soup
Looking to round out the meal? Check out some of our favorite gluten-free bread recipes below, perfect to serve with your soups! Aside from these options, a small side salad or sandwich are also great options to pair with soup. You can even make some delicious homemade gluten-free egg noodles to go into your soups!
Gluten-Free Soup FAQs
While any gluten-free flour blend, white rice flour, or corn starch can work as a thickener for soups, sweet rice flour, also called glutenous rice flour is the best option. It behaves most closely to wheat flour and can be used as a 1:1 replacement in any soup recipe.
Most 'regular' crackers contain gluten. Look for crackers specifically labeled gluten-free from brands such as Schar, Simple Mills, Mary's Gone Crackers, Milton's Craft Bakers, or Crunchmaster, all of which have gluten-free options.
Ritz Crackers are not gluten-free because they are made with wheat flour. Schar Entertainment Crackers or Lance Gluten Free Original Crackers are the closest gluten-free alternatives.
Saltine crackers are not gluten-free because they are made with wheat flour. Schar Table Crackers are the closest gluten-free alternative.
I hope you enjoy these delicious gluten-free soup recipes! There is nothing more comforting than a bowl of homemade soup on a cold winter day!
Gain access to our FREE exclusive mini-series:
Gluten-Free Baking and Lessons Learned!
Plus, be the first to know about new recipes and exciting announcements!
📩 Sign up for the Mini-Series Here! 📩