Find inspiration for your next potluck with these gluten-free potluck ideas! Find recipes for the whole meal, from main dishes to dessert, in this incredible list!
Whether for the big game, a summer dinner party, or a gathering at work or church, a potluck is a great way to bring everyone together! At a potluck, each guest brings a dish to share. This creates quite a feast and can lighten the load on the host who doesn't have to cook everything by themself.
Having a food intolerance though can make potlucks a daunting experience for the host and the guest. Some of us who are gluten-free aren't trying to be "that friend" but are simply trying to keep ourselves healthy. Many people do not choose to live a gluten-free lifestyle but rather eat a gluten-free diet for medical reasons, such as Celiac Disease.
So if you are gluten-free and heading to a potluck or looking for an inclusive dish to bring, this is the list for you! Below are gluten-free potluck recipes for the whole meal. Everything is included: appetizers, casseroles, side dishes, main dishes and even desserts.
Tips for Gluten-Free Potlucks
While you may not be able to enjoy every dish available, there are some easy precautions you can take in order to be safe and comfortable and any potluck.
- Bring a dish you can fill up on. If the dish you bring may be the only gluten-free option, make it something you really enjoy! Consider bringing a couple items so that you'll feel like you had a good meal even if you can't try everything available.
- Talk with the host. Let the host know of your intolerance. They will likely be as accommodating as possible! Let them know what you need in order to feel safe eating.
- Go first in line. While this may feel awkward at first, if you suspect the buffet line could become a free for all, ask the host politely if you can go first. This will ensure your meal hasn't been contaminated with gluten.
- Fill 'er up! Get enough to eat the first time though the line. You may not feel comfortable going back for seconds if things get crazy on the buffet! With food being flung and dropped everywhere, you may not want to risk a second pass.
If you're hosting a gluten-free guest, here are a few easy things you could do to help your guest.
- Clearly mark dishes that are gluten-free. Place a simple post it note or write on a piece of masking tape.
- Consider cross-contact. For those of us with highly sensitive food intolerances, even the tiniest amount of cross-contamination can make us sick. Try to keep gluten-free dishes as far away from regular dishes as possible. A separate table would be great.
- Make sure serving utensils are kept with their respective dishes. Putting the wrong spoon in a gluten-free dish can make it so the guest can no longer eat it.
- Let the gluten-free guest go first. Most people don't understand the risks of cross contact or the need to be careful not to get gluten food into the gluten-free dishes. A potluck can feel very intimidating and this simple gesture alleviates a huge concern.
Have more tips? Leave them in the comments!
Now let's get on to the gluten-free recipes! You may even find some of your favorite foods listed here!
Gluten-Free Main Dishes
For gluten-free main dishes, choose items that are able to be kept warm and are easy to serve! Sloppy Joe's and Italian beef sandwiches are perfect options. They can be made ahead and do well on the warm setting in a slow cooker. They don't require a lot of assembly, which could hold up the line. There are many other great options as well, from fried chicken to lasagna.
Gluten-Free Sloppy Joe's from Scratch
Chicago-Style Shredded Italian Beef Sandwiches (Gluten-Free)
Crock Pot BBQ Pulled Pork
The Best Gluten Free Fried Chicken
Gluten-Free Vegetarian Lasagna
Gluten-Free Slow Cooker Barbecue Meatballs
The perfect little bite to add to your plate. Check out these gluten-free appetizers, from creamy dips to finger foods!
Gluten-Free Bacon Jalapeno Poppers
The Best Hot Artichoke Dip
Large Batch Gluten-Free Chex Mix
Cream Cheese Fruit Dip
Classic Deviled Eggs
Homemade Ranch Dip
Gluten-Free Side Dishes
Casseroles are the perfect gluten-free side dishes for potlucks since they are usually large enough to feed a crowd. You can almost always bake them ahead and bring straight to the potluck. The contents will keep warm for at least an hour. Check out these wonderful casseroles with corn, sweet potatoes, or the forever favorite, cheesy potatoes!
Gluten-free Hashbrown Casserole
Gluten-Free Corn Casserole (Jiffy Recipe)
Gluten-Free Sweet Potato Casserole
Taco Tater Tot Hotdish Recipe
Gluten-Free Mac and Cheese
Gluten-Free Potato Sides
Everyone loves a potato! These potato side dishes are sure to please!
Best Potato Salad Recipe
Lemon Dill Potato Salad (No Mayo)
Garlic Butter Boiled Potatoes Recipe
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
Gluten-Free Au Gratin Potatoes
Gluten-Free Pasta Salads
Pasta salads are a staple at potlucks. Try one of these delicious gluten-free versions!
Cold Italian Pasta Salad
Gluten Free Macaroni Salad
Mexican Pasta Salad with Creamy Southwestern Dressing
Gluten-Free Vegetable Salads
Every potluck needs a crunchy salad. Here you'll find bit of everything from refreshing crunchy cucumbers to a hearty salad with quinoa.
Creamy Cucumber Salad
Easy Broccoli Salad without Mayo
Mediterranean Bean Salad
7 Layer Salad
Southwestern Quinoa Salad
Easy Healthy Coleslaw with Greek Yogurt
Gluten-Free Fruit Salads
A big bowl of fruit is a perfect compliment to any potluck. Here's a few takes on the classic fruit salad.
Fresh Fruit Salad
Fruit Salad With Poppy Seed Dressing
Creamy Grape Fruit Salad
Tropical Fruit Salad
Maybe it's the midwesterner in me, but no meal is complete without a side of gluten-free bread! Whether it's a dinner roll, cornbread, or even a slice of banana bread, that side of carbs is the perfect, not-to-be-overlooked addition to any satisfying meal!
Gluten-Free Jiffy Cornbread Muffins
Gluten-Free Hawaiian Rolls
Buckwheat Banana Bread (Gluten-Free)
Gluten-Free Walnut Date Loaf (Dairy-Free)
Gluten-Free No Knead Focaccia
Everyone loves the gluten-free sweet treats! The best options for potlucks are easy to grab and don't require much effort to eat. Cookies and bars are easy to make, transport, and serve!
Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars with Peanut Butter Cups and M&M's
Gluten-free Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
Gluten-free Frosted Banana Bars
Gluten Free Key Lime Pie Bars
Gluten-free Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting
Gluten Free Strawberry Icebox Cake
Gluten-free Texas Sheet Cake
Gluten-Free White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies
Gluten Free Chocolate Zucchini Cake
I hope you found some inspiration for your next potluck in this list of recipes. Were your favorite potluck dishes on the list? If not, tell me what they are in the comments!
Gain access to our FREE exclusive mini-series:
Gluten-Free Baking and Lessons Learned!
Plus, be the first to know about new recipes and exciting announcements!
📩 Sign up for the Mini-Series Here! 📩