Make this Easy Instant Pot Italian Beef and get ready for the compliments! A hint of spice and tons of flavor make these sandwiches a total crowd pleaser.
*This post contains affiliate links, through which I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you.
What is Italian Beef?
If you’ve never had an Italian Beef sandwich, you’re missing out! Picture spicy shredded beef piled high on a buttery toasted roll with melty, gooey provolone cheese draping over the top. (Cheese optional!)
This sandwich has strong Chicago roots. Around these parts, Italian Beef is common at parties and family get togethers because it’s the perfect make-ahead main dish and a total crowd pleaser.
Inside scoop: I’ve personally gotten compliments that my Italian beef is ‘the best’. So if you’re looking for a great recipe… you’re in the right place!
Ingredients for Easy Instant Pot Italian Beef
The ingredients for Italian beef are some of the most simple ingredients but they really pack a flavor punch!
- Beef Chuck Roast: I use a chuck roast for my Italian beef, which makes for a shredded Italian beef sandwich that is fall apart tender. The chuck roast has great beefy flavor.
- Sliced Pepperoncini Peppers: The whole jar, brine and all. This, you might say, is the secret ingredient. You most definitely cannot skip this ingredient! You will find these peppers in the condiment aisle. They’re usually on a top shelf by all the other pickled items.
- Bell pepper, Onion, & garlic: our mirepoix of flavor!
- Kosher Salt, black pepper, Italian Seasoning and a dash of Worcestershire sauce: additional flavor boosters!
Making Instant Pot Italian Beef
I love using the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker for this recipe. You can cook the beef in the oven or slow cooker, but the Instant Pot is quick, easy, and less of a mess!
- Set the Instant pot to Sauté. While the pot heats up, season the beef chuck roast liberally with kosher salt, black pepper, and Italian seasoning.
- When the display reads ‘HOT’, drizzle a little olive oil in the pot and sear the roast on both sides.
- Then toss the diced onion, bell pepper, and garlic on top of the roast.
- Pour in the whole jar of pepperoncini peppers, brine and all!
- Next, put the lid on the Instant pot and turn the valve to sealing. Set for 45-55 minutes.
- When the pressure releases, remove the lid to see all the beefy goodness!
- Then, shred the beef.
- Lastly, put the beef back in the pot with the juices.
Storing and Serving the Italian Beef Sandwiches
After the beef is cooked and shredded… you have options!
- Serve immediately: Hold the beef on the Keep Warm setting on the Instant Pot.
- Serve later: Store the beef, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. I do this right in the Instant Pot liner with a lid on top.
- Freeze: Yes, you can freeze it! Freeze the beef in a container that would fit inside the instant pot, like a 7-cup round pyrex dish. Then when ready to use, slide the whole frozen block back into the instant pot and reheat.
- Reheat refrigerated or frozen beef: Put the beef back into the Instant Pot. Put the lid on and set the Instant Pot to Manual for 5 min. Hold the beef on the Keep Warm setting throughout serving.
To make the sandwiches: My favorite gluten-free roll for this sandwich are the Schar gluten-free Ciabatta rolls. Otherwise, for non-gluten free, a hoagie roll is the way to go. Lightly butter and toast the rolls. Serve the beef piled high on the roll. If you like cheese, top with Provolone and pop the sandwiches under the broiler for just a minute to melt the cheese. Then just sit back and wait for the compliments to roll in.
Easy Instant Pot Italian Beef
- 2.5-3.5 lb beef chuck roast about 2 inches thick*
- 1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- 1 bell pepper roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic smashed
- 1 jar sliced Pepperoncini peppers with brine
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Ciabatta or Hoagie Rolls
- Provolone cheese optional
- Heat the Instant Pot on saute mode. Liberally season the roast with kosher salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. When ‘hot’, drizzle olive oil in pot and brown the roast both sides.
- Place the onion, bell pepper, and garlic cloves on top of the roast. Dump in the entire jar of pepperoncini peppers. Add the Worcestershire sauce.
- Place the lid on the Instant Pot and turn valve to sealing. Cook on Manual for 45-55 min, NPR.
- Release the steam valve. Remove the roast and shred. Return the meat to the juices in the pot.
- Serve on buttered and toasted rolls. Optional: Place a slice of provolone cheese on top and melt under the broiler.
- Oven method: Heat oven to 325°. Sprinkle the onion, bell pepper, and garlic around the roast in the dutch oven. Then pour in the Pepperoncini peppers with the juice and the Worcestershire sauce. Cover with the lid and roast for 4 hrs, or until the roast is tender and easily falls apart.
- Slow cooker: Place the onion, bell pepper and garlic in the bottom of 6 quart slow cooker. Place the browned roast on top. Pour in the Pepperoncini peppers with the juice and the Worcestershire sauce. Cover with the lid. Cook on low for 6-7 hrs or high for around 4 -5 hrs, or until the roast is tender and easily falls apart.
Do you like this recipe?
⭐️ Please leave a star-rating below! ⭐️
Use the social share buttons to save this recipe for later!