This sandwich rivals the sandwich shop! Chipotle Chicken Cheesesteak Sandwiches with zesty chipotle mayo are a quick and easy dinner your family will love!
Do you ever see an item on a menu and think, I could totally make that at home? Well, that's how this recipe started. If you follow on instagram you may have seen this post. Long story short, an unfortunate experience at a sub shop led me to recreate one of their sandwiches at home. Thus Chipotle Chicken Cheesesteak Sandwiches were born. The results were so good, I knew I had to share!
The best part about this recipe is that it can be thrown together rather quickly! It's a flavorful meal that requires minimal effort, which is always a win in my book.
Ingredients Needed for these Sandwiches
- Chicken: I used boneless, skinless breasts, thinly sliced.
- Green Bell pepper
- Sweet Yellow Onion
- Cheese: Pepper Jack or Provolone
- Buns: I love Schar Gluten-free Ciabatta Rolls, this time I tried the multigrain version and I really liked them!
- Homemade Chipotle Mayo: A.K.A. your new favorite condiment and the star of this show!
To make dinner-time even easier, slice the veggies and chicken and make the chipotle mayo ahead of time. Let it all hang out in the fridge until you're ready to cook.
Let's Make them!
First things first, whip up some of my super popular Chipotle Mayo! Start with your favorite store-bought mayo, then mix in some chipotle sauce and spices. It's really that simple and adds huge flavor!
Next sauté strips of thinly sliced chicken breast, onions, and bell pepper. I love a cast-iron pan for this!
Once the sauce is made and the chicken and veggies sautéed, it's time to assemble the sandwiches!!
- Toast your favorite roll, I did this under the broiler. This time I used Schar's gluten-free Multigrain Ciabatta Roll and I really liked them, by the way!
- Pile the chicken and veggies high on your favorite toasted roll.
- Top with cheese, pepper jack or provolone are two great options!
- Pop it back under the broiler to melt the cheese a bit.
- Slather the sauce on the top half of the bun. Close the lid and... devour!
Not only are these sandwiches super delicious, but they're also easy to make! You could feasibly have this meal on the table in about 30 minutes. It's great for lunch or dinner and the leftovers heat up very nicely!
Chipotle Chicken Cheesesteak Sandwiches
For the Chipolte Mayo
- ½ cup mayonnaise,, your favorite store-bought or homemade
- 2 teaspoons chipotle in adobo sauce
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
For the Sandwiches
- 2 tablespoon olive oil,, for sautéing
- 1 lb chicken breasts,, thinly sliced
- 2 green bell peppers,, thinly sliced
- 1 sweet onion,, thinly sliced
- 8 oz pkg sliced pepper jack or provolone cheese
- 1 pkg ciabatta rolls or sub rolls
Make the Chipotle Mayo
- Stir together the ingredients for the chipotle mayo and set aside.
Make the Sandwiches
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add a drizzle of olive oil. Place the chicken in the pan. Season with salt and pepper. Leave it alone for a few minutes to brown on the first side. Flip and continue to sauté until the chicken is fully cooked. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add another drizzle of olive oil and sauté the bell peppers and onions for a few minutes until crisp tender. Add the chicken back to the pan to warm through. Turn the burner to low and keep warm.
- Turn the broiler to high. Butter and toast the rolls.
- Pile the chicken and veggies onto one half of a toasted roll. Top with cheese. Place back under the broiler to melt the cheese.
- Slather the other half of the bun with chipotle mayo and place on top of the sandwich. Serve immediately.