A delicious, homemade sandwich that rivals the sandwich shop! Chipotle Chicken Cheesesteak Sandwiches have chicken, bell pepper, and onion piled high and topped with melty cheese and a zesty chipotle mayo!
Do you ever see an item on a menu and think, I could totally make that at home? Well that’s how this recipe started. If you follow on instagram you may have seen this post. Long story short, an unfortunate experience at a sub shop led me to recreating one of their sandwiches. Thus Chipotle Chicken Cheesesteak Sandwiches were born. The results were so good, I knew I had to share!
Ingredients in Chipotle Chicken Cheesesteak Sandwiches
- Chicken: I used boneless, skinless breasts, thinly sliced.
- Green Bell pepper
- Sweet Yellow Onion
- Cheese: Pepper Jack or Provolone
- Buns: I love Schar Gluten-free Ciabatta Rolls , this time I tried the multigrain version and I really liked them!
- Homemade Chipotle Mayo: A.K.A. your new favorite condiment and the star of this show!
Making the Cheesesteak Sandwiches
First things first, whip up some Chipotle Mayo! Start with your favorite store-bought mayo, then mix in some chipotle sauce and spices. It’s really that simple and adds huge flavor!
Next sauté strips of thinly sliced chicken breast, onions, and bell pepper. I love a cast-iron pan for this!
Once the sauce is made and the chicken and veggies sautéed, it’s time to assemble the sandwiches!!
- Toast your favorite roll, I did this under the broiler. This time I used Schar’s gluten-free Multigrain Ciabatta Roll and I really liked them, by the way!
- Pile the chicken and veggies high on your favorite toasted roll.
- Top with cheese, pepper jack or provolone are two great options!
- Pop it back under the broiler to melt the cheese a bit.
- Slather the sauce on the top half of the bun. Close the lid and… devour!
Not only are these sandwiches super delicious, they’re easy to make! You could feasibly have this meal on the table in about 30 minutes. It’s great for lunch or dinner and the leftovers heat up very nicely!
Chipotle Chicken Cheesesteak Sandwiches
A delicious, homemade sandwich that rivals the sandwich shop! Chicken, bell pepper, and onion are piled high and topped with melty cheese and a zesty chipotle mayo!
- 1 lb chicken breasts, thinly sliced, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 2 green bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 8 oz pkg sliced pepper jack or provolone cheese
- 1 pkg ciabatta rolls or sub rolls
- 2 tbsp olive oil, for sautéing
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise, your favorite store-bought or homemade
- 2 teaspoons chipotle in adobo sauce
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Stir together the ingredients for the chipotle mayo and set aside.
Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add a drizzle of olive oil. Place the chicken in the pan. Sauté until the chicken is fully cooked and remove from the pan.
Add another drizzle of olive oil and sauté the bell peppers and onions for a few minutes until crisp tender. Add the chicken back to the pan to warm through.
Turn the broiler to high. Butter and toast the rolls.
Pile the chicken and veggies onto one half of a toasted roll. Top with cheese. Place back under the broiler to melt the cheese.
Slather the other half of the bun with chipotle mayo and place on top of the sandwich. Serve immediately.
more sandwich inspiration
- Sloppy Joe’s and Italian Beef are two of our family favorites!
- These Thai Pulled Turkey Sandwiches from Simply Gluten-Free look amazing!
- You can’t go wrong with caprese! Try these Grilled Chicken Caprese Sandwiches from Flippin’ Delicious.
Like this recipe?
⭐️ Please leave a star-rating below! ⭐️
Use the social share buttons to save this recipe for later!