Forget all the extra junk in those packets and make this easy, 5 minute Homemade Ranch Dip. With a few fresh or dried herbs and some sour cream (no mayo), you can make the most flavorful dip! Perfect for veggies!
When you have Celiac Disease, consuming any processed food gets a little daunting. You look at the list of ingredients like, huh? ? Let's take that famous Ranch packet for example. It says it's gluten-free, but have you ever actually looked at what's in it?! If you have celiac, I can almost guarantee you have. The first three ingredients are maltodextrin, salt, and MSG. (mmm... so ranchy!) I mean, where are all the herbs? Isn't that what ranch is all about anyway? It's not that I can't eat that but after reading it... do I even want to? That is exactly why I made this recipe for homemade ranch dip. It's healthier and...
Not to mention, homemade really is better! My family will chow down their veggies with this dip. My four-year-old even said I make the best dip ever!
Ingredients for Homemade Ranch Dip
If you follow on Instagram, you may have seen that I have an Aerogarden and I've been growing fresh herbs, indoors, all winter! It's been fun, a learning experience, and bountiful to say the least. I first made this ranch dip with fresh herbs because I have a plethora! Then, I also made the dip with dried herbs and it was just as good so don't worry, you can use either fresh or dried herbs in this recipe! Fresh herbs can be hard to come by so don't let that deter you from this recipe!
- Herbs: The star of this dip is the herbs! Fresh or dried herbs work equally well. If your dried herbs are over a year old, you may want to pick up a fresh bottle. You can also use a combination of fresh and dried herbs depending on what you have available.
- Sour cream: The base for this dip is sour cream. There is no mayo in this dip!
- Lemon juice or Buttermilk Powder: Use freshly squeezed lemon juice. Honestly though, the buttermilk powder is an extra ingredient to have on hand, but it's so worth it! It really takes the dip to the next level. Find it in the baking aisle!
- Worcestershire sauce: gluten-free, I use Lea & Perrins.
- Trader Joe's Onion Salt: This is a delicious, oniony seasoning blend from Trader Joe's. If you don't have access to Trader Joe's Onion Salt, substitute with dried, minced onion and garlic.
- Kosher salt & pepper
Mixing up the dip
As with any easy dip, gathering the ingredients is the hardest part! After that, all you need to do is mix everything together. You can whip up this dip in five minutes flat! I'm not sure why anyone even uses that ranch packet... it doesn't really save that much time!
Once it's all mixed together, just refrigerate until serving. It will last for about a week in the refrigerator.
Uses for Homemade Ranch Dip
Obviously this ranch dip is just begging for a veggie tray! Broccoli, carrots, celery, bell peppers, and cucumbers are our favorites to dip. You could also:
- Thin with milk/buttermilk to turn it into Ranch Dressing for your favorite salad!
- Use the dip for dunking your favorite hot wings!
- You could even use it as a dip for fries or chips.
Homemade Ranch Dip
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice OR 2 Tablespoons buttermilk powder (recommended)*
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons Trader Joe's Onion Salt OR ½ teaspoon dried minced onion + ¼ teaspoon dried minced garlic + 1 teaspoon onion salt + ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 Tablespoon fresh Dill weed or 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 Tablespoon fresh Parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ Tablespoon fresh Chives or ½ teaspoon dried chives
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Combine all ingredients together in small bowl. Refrigerate for up to 1 week. Serve with fresh veggies.
Do you like this recipe?
⭐️ Please leave a star-rating below! ⭐️
Use the social share buttons to save or Pin this recipe for later!