For the most tender and juicy steaks, check out this flavorful gluten-free steak marinade! It's so quick and easy to make with a few simple pantry ingredients. Now you can have delicious restaurant quality steak, right at home!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
There is so much to love about this 5 minute steak marinade recipe! While it's similar to the World's Best Steak Marinade, this version is gluten-free! This essential marinade is basic, yet totally flavorful! In fact, it makes steak so juicy and flavorful, you might just find you don't need any steak sauce at all!
There is no added sugar, high fructose corn syrup, tomato products, or hidden gluten, like you might find with many store-bought marinades. This naturally dairy-free recipe can also be made without soy using a simple ingredient swap.
While this marinade is perfect for summer grilling, it's also a great way to add flavor when you need to cook steaks inside, either in a cast iron pan or under the broiler.
Use it to enhance just about any cut of steak, including ribeyes or New York strip. It's especially good for tougher cuts of meat like flank, skirt, hanger, or flat iron.
- Tamari Sauce: Similar to soy sauce, except that it doesn't contain wheat!
- Tamari is made from fermented soy beans and has the same rich umami flavor that you get from regular soy sauce.
- You can also use liquid aminos, which has a similar flavor.
- Substitute coconut aminos for a soy free option!
- If you're new to gluten-free, tamari can be found in the gluten-free/organic section or even in the Asian foods aisle, it just depends on your grocery store. Here are some brands to look for: San-J brand tamari is great, use low sodium if you prefer. Bragg's is a popular brand for liquid aminos. Look for Coconut Secret for coconut aminos.
- Worcestershire Sauce: Adds a lot of flavor to the marinade and is a favorite sauce for all things beef!
- Double check labels to make sure it's gluten-free.
- Lea & Perrins is a popular brand that is gluten-free.
- Neutral Oil: Any oil you have on hand, such as olive oil, avocado oil, or canola oil are great options.
- Lemon Juice: Every good marinade needs some sort of acid which helps tenderize the meat. Fresh squeezed lemon juice is the way to go here!
- Garlic: Fresh garlic adds tons of delicious flavor! You can use garlic powder if necessary, but fresh is preferred!
- Fresh Herbs: This is totally optional but I find anytime I add a handful of fresh herbs to a marinade, it really adds amazing flavor that you just can't get from dried herbs. Try Italian parsley, rosemary, thyme, or basil!
It is so easy to whip up this marinade and the 5 minutes it takes is time very well spent because the flavor is phenomenal!
To make this marinade:
- Pour all of the ingredients into a small bowl.
- Whisk together.
- Pour over steaks.
- Add in fresh herbs, if using.
- Let the steaks marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour, up to 4 hours.
How Long to Cook Steak
Once your steak has marinaded, it's time to cook it! You can cook these steaks on the grill, in a cast-iron skillet, or even under the broiler.
But when it comes to achieving perfectly cooked, juicy steak, it's not necessarily about the amount of time you cook it for, but rather the temperature you cook it to, so be sure to use a meat thermometer! Everything you ever wanted to know about choosing steaks and what the temperatures mean is in this guide. Check the chart below for a quick reference to proper temperatures.
|Medium Rare||130-134°F||Warm Red|
|Medium Well||145-154°F||Slightly Pink|
Tips for Cooking a Great Steak
Steak is probably one of the easiest meats to cook, but there are a few tips to follow if you want to achieve a restaurant quality meal. Also, check out this guide to the different cuts of steak, which describes the best methods to cook each different cut.
- Bring the steaks to room temperature before placing on the grill to ensure even cooking.
- Season well, like with this marinade, and give the seasoning enough time to infuse the steaks, at least 1 hour.
- Get the cast iron pan or grill hot enough to properly sear the meat. This is how to achieve crispy caramelized exterior and a tender and juicy interior.
- Use a meat thermometer to ensure proper doneness! If you overcook a steak, you'll end up with dry, tough meat.
- Let the steaks rest for 5-10 minutes after cooking before cutting into them.
- Pay attention to the grain of the meat. Slice against the grain to make the steak more tender and easier to chew.
What To Serve With Steak
Now that you've got the steak covered, it's time to round out the meal! To keep it simple, you can surely serve this steak with a baked potato and a vegetable, like frozen peas or Instant Pot corn on the cob, and call it good! If you want something a little more, here are some other great options:
- Gluten-Free Hashbrown Casserole feeds a crowd! Great for a summer grill out!
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes are easy and delicious. Add in a few cloves of garlic for a punch of flavor, just like the steakhouse! Serve with a delicious gluten-free gravy!
- Gluten-free Au Gratin Potatoes are cheesy, creamy, and classy!
- This creamy mashed cauliflower is a great low carb option.
- Gluten-free cornbread muffins or gluten-free yeast dinner rolls would also be a nice way to round out the meal.
More Great Gluten-Free Recipes
Gain access to our FREE exclusive mini-series:
Gluten-Free Baking and Lessons Learned!
Plus, be the first to know about new recipes and exciting announcements!
📩 Sign up for the Mini-Series Here! 📩
Gluten-Free Steak Marinade
- ½ cup neutral oil, olive, avocado, or canola etc.
- ¼ cup tamari sauce, or liquid aminios, coconut aminos for soy free
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce, check labels for gluten-free
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic, 3-4 cloves
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 bunch fresh herbs, such as flat leaf parsley, rosemary, and/or thyme (optional)
- 2 pounds beef steak, ribeye, New York strip, flank, skirt, chuck, etc.
- Whisk together all ingredients, except for fresh herbs.
- Place steaks in shallow dish or zip top bag.
- Pour the marinade over the steaks. Add in freshly torn herbs.
- Allow steaks to marinate at least 1 hour, or up to 4 hours or so.
- Cook steaks to desired temperature using the best method for the type of cut.