Party time, road trips, anytime is a good time for delicious Gluten-free Chex Mix! This Large batch recipe uses whole boxes of Chex cereal!
Hands down, our favorite road trip snack is homemade Chex mix. Whether it be a road trip, camping trip, or family game night, when I make Chex Mix, I make a lot! As in, I dump in the whole boxes of Chex cereal and go from there. Besides, who wants half empty cereal boxes taking up room in the pantry? That’s why I created this recipe for a large batch, Whole Box Chex Mix… plus I’ve got some tips for making it completely gluten-free!
Ingredients for Gluten-free Chex Mix
As you know, living Gluten-free means virtually every recipe needs modification… even Chex mix. Back in the day, I always used Crispix cereal and made Crispix Mix, but thanks to Kellogg’s and their love for malt syrup (insert eyeroll emoji), I’ve switched to Chex! And guess what?! It’s better this way! Here’s what you need for gluten-free Chex Mix:
- One box each of Corn Chex and Rice Chex cereal: both are gluten-free!
- Gluten Free Bagel Chips or Crackers: I have used several kinds of bagel chips or crackers, all with good results: Glutino Parmesan Garlic bagel chips, Lance Gltuen-free Crackers, Blue Diamond Nut Thins. If you can’t find these, use a cracker or bagel chip that’s available to you.
- Mixed Nuts: check the label. The nuts should contain only nuts, oil, and salt. Also look at the allergen statement. I avoid brands that say “may contain wheat” or “processed in a facility that also processes wheat.”
- Gluten-free Pretzels: There are a lot of good gluten-free pretzel brands, use your favorite! I like the Snyder’s gluten-free pretzels.
The secret for any good Chex mix is in the sauce! Extra sauce = extra flavor! So my feeling is, don’t skimp on the sauce! P.S. this is the secret to good Chex mix! Everyone loves the flavorful bites, so why not have more of them?!
- Worcestershire Sauce: check to ensure it’s gluten-free, I use Lea & Perrin’s brand.
- Lemon Juice: best freshly squeezed!
- Garlic Salt
- Onion Salt
How to make Chex Mix
- Dump the cereals, pretzels, nuts, and bagel chips into a large roasting pan.
- Melt the butter and combine the sauce ingredients.
- Drizzle the sauce mixture evenly over the cereal/pretzel/nut/bagel chip mixture.
- Stir to combine.
- Bake at 250°F for 60 min, stirring every 15 minutes.
Gluten-free Chex Mix | Whole Box Recipe
Large batch, gluten-free Chex Mix that uses whole boxes of Chex cereal!
- 1 12 oz. box Corn Chex
- 1 12 oz. box Rice Chex
- 1 10 oz. can mixed nuts
- 2-3 cups gluten-free bagel chips or gluten-free crackers broken into bite-size pieces
- 2-3 cups gluten-free pretzels
- 12 Tablespoons butter
- ⅓ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 ½ Tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons onion salt
Preheat oven to 250°F.
In a large roasting pan, mix together the cereals, nuts, bagel chips, and pretzels.
Melt the butter in a small bowl. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, and seasonings. Drizzle the sauce over the cereal mixture in the pan, stirring to evenly coat the cereal.
Bake at 250°F for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Let cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
Making ahead and Storing Chex Mix
- Chex Mix can be made a few days ahead of a party, but you better hide it or it will get eaten! This stuff is never safe around my family!
- Store the Chex Mix in an airtight container for 3 days up to one week. It is better fresh, so I personally wouldn’t make it too far in advance.
More Chex Mix INspiration
- I’m loving the idea of a Spicy Buffalo Chex Mix.
- Gingerbread Chex Mix would be fun around Christmas!
Party Food to Make a Meal
If you’re hosting a party, this Chex Mix would make a great appetizer! You could make Instant Pot Italian Beef, a veggie tray with homemade ranch dip, and a plate of sugar cookies to round out the meal!
Do you like this recipe?
⭐️ Please leave a star-rating below! ⭐️
Use the social share buttons to save this recipe for later!
*This post contains affiliate links, through which I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you.