Thick and chewy, Gluten-free Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars are everything you love about a chocolate chip cookie but in an easy bar form! Perfect for road trip snacks, picnics, and potlucks!
Back in the day, when I could eat gluten, the ‘regular’ version of these cookies were a family favorite! I would make them for every road trip and camping trip we went on. I don’t know about you but when I’m bored in a car, chocolate is the only solution. They were easy to transport because they could be left right in the pan and they stayed fresh for days! Who knows what took me so long, but I’ve finally swapped out the recipe for a gluten-free version and they really are just as good as the original!
These bars are thick with a satisfying chew from the oats. They burst with chocolate, like any good chocolate chip cookie recipe should. Not only are they are super easy to whip up but being that they’re cookie bars, they’re even quicker and less fussy than dropping cookies by the spoonful! They’re sure to satisfy your sweet-tooth!
Let’s talk ingredients.
- Gluten-free flour blend: I tested with Pamela’s Artisan Blend and Bob’s 1:1 gluten-free flours. Make sure to select a flour with Xanthan Gum already included.
- Butter: This recipe could easily be adapted to dairy-free with a dairy-free substitute of your choice, such as coconut oil.
- Oats: Always choose oats labeled gluten-free as regular oats are not gluten-free.
- Chocolate chips: if you need dairy-free, consider Enjoy Life brand.
How to make Gluten-free Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
Make these bars in a few basic cookie-making steps!
- Cream the butter and sugars, then mix in the remaining wet ingredients.
- Blend in the dry ingredients.
- Stir in the oats and chocolate chips.
- Spread the dough into a parchment-lined 9-inch square pan and if you’re feeling extra, sprinkle with a few more chocolate chips!
- Now it’s time to stick that goodness into the oven and let the magic happen! Bake until the cookies are golden brown and set, you can check with a toothpick!
Allow the bars to cool completely in the pan before cutting into squares. If you cut them when they are too warm, they will crumble apart. When they are cool, they will hold together better! If you would like to remove them from the pan in order to cut them, you can lift using the edges of the parchment paper.
This recipe calls for a 9-inch square pan. You could easily double the recipe for a larger batch and bake in a 9×13 pan.
Store the cookies at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Gluten-free Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Bars
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup gluten-free flour blend, with Xanthan Gum, such as Bob's 1:1 baking flour or Pamela's Artisan Blend
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, plus some extra to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a 9-inch square pan with parchment paper. Lightly grease pan as well.
- Cream together the butter and sugars.
- Blend in the egg and vanilla.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients and then blend into the creamed mixture.
- Stir in the oats and chocolate chips until just combined.
- Spread evenly into the pan. Sprinkle a few extra chocolate chips on top and press them into the dough.
- Bake at 375°F for 25-30 minutes. The bars should be golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean.
- Cool completely before cutting into squares.
If you like this recipe, I think you’ll love my other cookie recipes too!
Do you like this recipe?
⭐️ Please leave a star-rating below! ⭐️
Use the social share buttons to save or Pin this recipe for later!