Gluten-free Snickerdoodle Cookies, soft and chewy, rolled in cinnamon sugar. This classic cookie is bound to be someone's favorite!
When I asked my followers on Instagram what their favorite fall cookie was, snickerdoodles were the clear winner. I have to agree with them that this classic cookie is a favorite and for good reason. These gluten-free snickerdoodles are the perfect combination of soft and chewy with crisp edges and the warm cinnamon-sugar coating makes them nearly irresistible!
So what's in a snickerdoodle that makes it a snickerdoodle? At the
- Butter and Shortening: A combination of butter and shortening is necessary for this recipe. The cookies I made with all butter were too soft and crumbly. The addition of a little shortening added structure and solved this problem!
- White and Brown Sugar: Again, in order to get the texture just right, a little brown sugar along with white sugar is the way to go.
- Vanilla and Egg round out the rest of the wet ingredients.
- Gluten-free all-purpose flour: I used Pamela's All-purpose Artisan Blend flour in this recipe. It is one of my favorite gluten-free flours.
- Baking soda and Salt for leavening and flavor.
- Cream of Tartar: this is one of the key ingredients that make a snickerdoodle a snickerdoodle. Not only does cream of tartar aid in the leavening process, but it also adds a slightly tangy flavor which is what snickerdoodle purists love.
- Cinnamon & Sugar: rolling the cookies in cinnamon sugar before baking is the other key to making a snickerdoodle. The warm cinnamon flavor is not overpowering but would definitely be missed if it wasn't there.
Making the Cookies
Step 1: First things first, cream the butter, shortening, and sugars together. Get it good and fluffy by mixing for about 2 minutes. Then blend in the egg and vanilla as well.
Step 2: Add in the whisked dry ingredients and mix to combine.
Step 3: Scoop about 1 Tablespoon of dough and roll into a ball. Roll the dough balls into cinnamon sugar and bake.
That's pretty much it! Now just sit back with a glass of milk and a pile of cookies, snuggle under a blanket with a good book or Netflix and call it a day!
To chill or not to chill?
That is always the question, isn't it... do I need to chill the dough? Well, I have good news, this recipe works well either way. I found that the results between chilled cookie dough and dough that was immediately baked, was not much different. Cookies baked from chilled dough spread a tiny bit less than the room temperature cookies, but not so much that I would say chilling is a must. So there you have it, choose your own
Side note on cookie spread: I did find that baking the cookies on a non-stick pan yielded less spreading than cookies baked on parchment.
Pro gluten-free baking tip: Allow the cookies to cool for a couple of minutes on the pan to set before removing to a cooling rack. This helps immensely in avoiding cookies that crumble.
Gluten-free Snickerdoodle Cookies
- ¼ Cup Butter
- ¼ Cup Shortening
- ½ Cup Sugar
- ¼ Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 ¼ Cup Gluten-free Flour Blend, designed for baking, I use Pamela's All-purpose Flour
- ½ teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ Cup Sugar + ½ teaspoon Cinnamon,, for rolling
- Heat oven to 375°
- Whisk together the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Cream butter, shortening, and sugars together until fluffy, about 2 min.
- Mix in the egg and vanilla.
- Blend in the whisked dry ingredients.
- Combine the cinnamon and ¼ cup sugar together in a small bowl.
- Roll 1 Tablespoon of dough into a ball. Roll the ball in a mixture of cinnamon and sugar.
- Bake 8-9 min until lightly browned.
More Gluten-free Cookie Love
- Gluten-free Oatmeal Cookies, with or without icing, are another cookie with a hint of cinnamon that reminds me of fall!
- Classic Gluten-free Chocolate Chip Cookies, just like your mom used to make.
- Gluten-free Peanut Butter Blossoms are a chocolate and peanut butter lover's best friend!
- You can't go wrong with Frosted Sugar Cookies any time of year!
Did you like this recipe?
Please leave a star-rating below! ⭐️
Use the social share buttons to save or Pin this recipe for later!