The ultimate Gluten-free Chocolate Chip cookie recipe! Slightly chewy, slightly crisp, bursting with chocolate! A go-to recipe!
Gluten-free Chocolate Chip Cookies, what could go wrong?! Well for starters, everyone has their own idea of the perfect cookie, especially when it comes to Chocolate Chip Cookies. To me the ideal Chocolate Chip Cookie is:
- Gluten-free (ha. Obviously!)
- Chewy in the center
- Crisp on edges… but not too crispy!
- Bursting with Chocolate!
- Easy to make with easy to find ingredients. Not to mention, I don’t really want to make my own flour blend!
Basically, I want a gluten-free cookie that actually reminds me of the Nestle Toll House version I grew up with. Although, that’s the thing with gluten-free baking. Sure you can do a 1:1 swap with a gluten-free flour blend in all your favorite recipes, but the truth is…. they probably aren’t really going to turn out how you remember. The texture may be dry, crumbly… or just off. For me that’s a bummer because the perfect cookie is all about the getting the perfect texture! That’s why I’m always tweaking my old standard recipes to be more like I remember. I’m never satisfied with close-enough!
INgredients in the best Gluten-free Chocolate Chip Cookies
The ingredients in this recipe are pretty standard as far as gluten-free baking goes. You’ll need:
- Brown & white sugar
- Chocolate Chips: semi-sweet, dark chocolate or a mixture of both!
- and the dry ingredients including a 1:1 gluten-free flour blend, baking soda, and salt. And one little secret ingredient… tapioca starch (or cornstarch)!
To get the perfectly chewy, slightly crisp cookie, first increase the amount of brown sugar and decrease the white sugar. Increasing brown sugar adds more moisture into the cookie and keeps it on the chewy side. The secret ingredient, a little tapioca starch or cornstarch, goes into the dry ingredients. The starch really helps the overall structure and texture of the cookie. The extra bit of starch adds just the right amount of crispness.
About the flour blend: I use Pamela’s Artisan Blend All-purpose Flour in these cookies. It is by far the best baking flour at the best value that I have been able to find. It is a reliable flour and doesn’t have any weird flavors or gritty textures. (They don’t pay me to say that, I really use and buy this flour all the time!)
- You can chill the dough before baking, but you don’t have to! They turn out similarly either way!
- Don’t over-bake these cookies! If you like a slightly gooey/chewy center this is important! They should be slightly golden brown around the edges and still pale but just starting to brown in the centers.
- Unless of course you actually like a crispier cookie! Then by all means, bake them an extra minute or two until they are nice and golden brown!
- If your cookies spread too much or aren’t as round as you’d like, did you know you can reshape the cookies?! As soon as they come out of the oven use a spoon (just a regular spoon from your silverware drawer) to gently push the edges of the cookie back into shape. Then let the cookie cool. It’s such a fun trick!
- And one last tip…
A tip to prevent the dreaded gluten-free cookie crumble…
Gluten-free cookies tend to be a tad more fragile than regular cookies. There’s nothing worse than a cookie that crumbles! Sure, you can add in a little extra Xanthan gum to your dry ingredients but I often find that I don’t like how that changes the texture. Want to know my cookie trick?
Let the cookies cool almost completely on the cookie sheet before you remove them to a cooling rack. Giving them a few minutes to set really helps them hold together and prevents that cookie from crumbling! [Cue the singing chorus]
How long will the cookies stay fresh?
I think these only stay fresh for 3 days, after that they get dry. If you plan to keep them longer than three days, I would freeze them in in airtight container.
Chewy Gluten-free Chocolate Chip Cookies
The best gluten-free chocolate chip cookies are chewy in the middle and crisp on the edges.
- 1 ½ cups Gluten-free All-purpose Flour Blend, I use Pamela's Artisan Blend All-purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons tapioca starch or cornstarch
- ½ cup butter (1 stick), softened
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
Pre-heat the oven to 325°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
In a small bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, salt, & tapioca starch). Set aside.
WIth an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugars. (About 2 min on medium speed.)
Mix in the egg and vanilla.
Add in the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
Stir in the chocolate chips.
Scoop 1 tablespoon-size portions of dough and place 2-inches apart on cookie sheets. Bake 12-14 minutes until the edges are lightly golden and centers are just starting to brown. (Do not overbake… unless you like a crispier cookie!)
There you have it! The perfect chocolate chip cookie that is not only gluten-free but chewy, crisp, and delicious! Just like you remember as a kid! No weird textures or flavors, no crazy ingredients! Now all you need is a big ‘ole glass of milk!
Need More Cookie Recipes to love?
- These Iced Oatmeal Cookies are an old family favorite, inspired by my Great Grandma’s recipe.
- Peanut butter and chocolate? Yes, please!
- Not only do these Lemon Thyme Shortbread Cookies sound just perfect but they are also gluten and sugar free!
- I mean, really. Can you go wrong with breakfast cookies? I think not.
Shop This Post
*This post contains affiliate links, through which I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you.
Did you enjoy this recipe?
Please leave a comment & star-rating below!
Use the social share buttons to save this recipe to Facebook & Pinterest!
Tag me on Instagram @wheatbythewayside and use #wheatbythewayside.